Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:58 AM   #1

I am buying a Canon D30. It will take better pictures then the Nikon D200, from what I have come to understand. Unfortunately, finding the preferred lens is dificult. My knowledge to this is very minimal. I need to find out should I purchase a Sigma lens or Canon (Canon EF 75-300 F/4.0-5.6 III Lens vs Sigma Auto Focus Lens 70-300mm II). Please help....

alaskacomputing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:12 PM   #2

As a general rule I say "buy Canon". Yes, there are times where Canon does not offer a lens focal range or feature that a 3rd party maker may. Also, Sometimes there is enough difference in price that considering a 3rd party lens may be most feasiable. This would be most true, for example, with zooms in the 24/28-70/80mm grouping. Canon brand lenses are far less apt to cause problems because, not only is their quality high, but the 3rd party lens mskers are not licensed by Canon and don't have access to the all the lens data.
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:40 PM   #3

in my opinion is that the sigma is the better lens.If you are buying the canon with IS then buy that 1.Between the regular 75-300 canonvs 70-300 sigma ,the sigma wins in my eyes.I have one of the sigma 70-300 lenses and love it.I have mooved onto the 100-300 F4 Sigma,but also own the 24-70 F2.8 sigma and the 50 mm F2.8 macro and love them also.So dont be scared away by the "thrid party" name.Also Sigmas EX line is just under the Canon L line and alot less expensive.
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:19 PM   #4

It all depends on what you want from a lens and how much you want to spend. At the price the D30 is selling you might want to get a 350D. Again, it depends on what YOU want and what you can afford.

I have Canon, Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina lenses. They all do what I want and it has taken me a long time to accumulate them. If you're just beginning to learn photography, IMHO you'd be better off buying the 350D (same as Rebel XT) and practicing with the kit lens before committing a lot of money towards a really old camera (not knocking the D30) and lenses that may or may not be worthwhile for what you want to shoot.

A different way to go would be to get either the D30 (3.1MP)or 350D (8MP) and the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens, which is a great lens to start out with.

Hope I'm not coming across as know-it-all; I'm not, but I've made a lot of mistakes because I didn't know about the different forums where one could get help.

Good luck.
Sunshine10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:34 AM   #5

I have the Canon lens that you are considering and have been quite happy with it so far. I got a really good deal on mine so that is what swayed my decision toward the Canon versus the third party lenses.

That being said Sigma reverse engineers their lenses to be compatible with the Canon mount and as the Canon DSLRs have evolved issues have and will arise. Sigma seems to be willing to "update" some of their older lenses with new firmware on a case by case basis but not indefinitely. There are many older Sigma lenses for Canon EOS mount that are no longer compatible nor upgradeable for the newer Canon DSLRs.

By buying a Canon lens you are pretty much assured future compatibility with Canon DLSR bodies using the same mount.

motegi is offline   Reply With Quote