Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:27 PM   #1

Ok, I just got a 28-135 IS USM for a walk around lens and I love it and now I want to buy a good telephoto lens. I already have a 75-300 without IS or USM and I want something better and I was considering the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM or 70-200 f/4L. Now 300 is a better distance, because my 28-135 covers quite a bit, and ISis a great featureor i have a chance to get a L series lens. I hear the build quality and sharpness are great.I have never used either lens yet but on my 75-300 its hard to use without getting some kind of shake unless the conditionsare perfect or you have a tripod.its a big lens and zoomsout far butI guess my question is how does the 70-200 f/4do when its handheld? and which lens would be best for me. I like to take some bird pictures and boats and that kind of stuff. any thoughts?
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:25 PM   #2

Well if you are going to be taking bird pictures then you will need more reach than 200mm,at least i think so.I would recommend a 300mm zoom or the 200 with a 1.4 converter,but I would go with a straight 300mm zoom.I have heard that the 70-300 IS from canon is a really nice lens,but havent used it myself.I do have the 100-300 f4 sigma EX DG lens and really like it.I also have a 1.4 converter for it.I dont think I would get a 2x as the fstop now becomes an f8 and you dont get the AF unless you have one of the 1 series.Now the 100 - 300 F4 Sigma EX is abit more expensive than the 70-200 f4 L and the 70-300 IS from canon,but is one of the sharpest lenses out there.

If your not into the sigma I would still recomend a 300mm zoom( as it is more versitile) or the 200mm and a 1.4 converter.
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote