Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 11, 2006, 2:16 PM   #1

i heard that in SLR world usually lenses cost more than camera .. so if i would like to invest in really excellent lenses i have to be sure it will fit my future cameras

how often does camera mounts change?

e.g sinse when canon EF mounts are there and if i spend good amount of money on some lenses for how long it will fit into new camera bodies ?
docesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:58 AM   #2

Well, this may not answer your question, but the EF 85mm f/1.2L version I was in production since 1989 (version II came out this year) and it still works with today's cameras.

Mounts don't change very often because of the same reason you don't want it to change often: people invest a lot of money in lenses and expect long usage.

This is probably one of the only valid reasons lenses/camera manufacturers stick to their own unique mount instead of creating a universal SLR mount.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:14 AM   #3

The biggest changes with Canon came about 2 years after Minolta decided to launch their new Maxxum/Dynax system with body integrated Autofocus in January 1985. Minolta ended up getting something like 31.7% of the SLR market by 1986 because of it, since the other manufacturers didn't have SLR systems with Autofocus compete with it.

This article discusses Canon's efforts to use an in lens autofocus system, versus one integrated with the camera body, and how they abandoned them after Minolta launched their SLR system with Autofocus in January 1985 (other than a couple of specialized systems with unique lens designs).

Minolta Maxxum 7000

...a relatively low profile Minolta rocked the entire photographic community in January 1985 with a new breed of AF camera which has a revolutionary concept that made it differed from other "mainstream industrial design" adopted by other makers. "New" because there were two major factors of which one of them has a great impact to the existing Minolta users - the Company decided to drop support for the older MC/MD mount and replaced with an fully electronic lens mount with no backward compatibility.

But a more important element is, the Maxxum 7000 AF SLR camera was the first true system AF SLR with an body integrated AF design with a host of new AF lenses built around the camera.
Canon made a similar switch almost two years later in late 1986 with the introduction of their EOS system and new EF (Autofocus) lens mount.

Nikon and Pentax tried to maintain backwards compatibility with their older lenses (but, you still have some restrictions with that solution).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:49 PM   #4

Kind of curious no one really mention the newer EF-S mount :idea:
Isn't this a new mount for short backthrow 'digital' lens in response to the 4/3 format?

Lens in this mount won't fit the older film cameras or the full-frame bodies (like the 5D, 1D, 1D mrkII or even older dSLRs) with the larger mirror box, but they generally have better contrast (hence MTF and associated shartpness) than the former EF mount (even over some fancy L's) since the images projected from theses smaller and lighter 'digital only' lenses strike the sensor at less of an acute angle and do not bounce around as much inside the film chamber

Some EF-S can be quite oustanding in optical quality but they can be quite high in $ as well
-> Everyone should be careful if they see a full-frame upgrade path... in their future :?

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 3:36 AM   #5

I would say the EF-S mount shows just how reluctant camera manufacturers are to change mounts!
When they had a problem that required a new mount they still made it compatible with the older mount.
I doubt canon will ever ditch backwards compatibility with eos lenses as long as they use sensor sizes that are reasonably close to 35mm film.
The only reason they had to change last time was the need to be able to send electric signals through the mount, something that had never been considered when the previous mount was designed.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote