Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:56 PM   #1

I've probably been the person most closely watching this lense in the past few months. Here's the deal on what's going on:

In early June, Canon issued a service notice for an issue when the lense was held in portrait mode and blurry images were appearing.

As soon as the service notice was published, Canon recalled all lenses from retailers (most have returned them, there are still a few retailers selling the old lenses).

The issue was resolved on or around June 30th.

A day or two ago, the lense appeared on B&H Photo Video for a few hours then was marked as out of stock again. Upon contacting B&H, they had this to say:

Ok, Canon recalled that lens because there was a problem with the focusing system. Right now are not taking any orders until we receive the new batch of good lenses, which is going to be around august. We know that you wanted the rebate but this in our doing, things happen.
The way that is interpreted is Canon sent them new, fixed lenses but then recalled them due to a separate focusing problem (which explains why B&H had them on sale for a few hours then pulled them off).

Upon calling Canon today, I was told several times that this isn't what happened. They are unsure what B&H did but they never recalled the lense for a second, separate focusing issue.

After being transferred to a few different departments, I was told that about a week ago, Canon started getting the lenses ready to be shipped to retailers and that the lenses should be appearing in stores shortly.

So that is where things stand. Why have I been watching this lense so closely? There's an airshow at the end of this month that I'd love to have this telephoto lense for, but it doesn't look like I'll be receiving it in time.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links