Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:14 PM   #1

I just purchased the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 (quite a sharp lense for a great price!) and am looking to get a lense hood.

The lense hood (ES-62) includes some sort of adapter ring? What is this for? Will it prevent me from also attaching a UV filter?

And moreover - is it even worth it to spend the money on the lense hood?
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:16 PM   #2

This lens is recessed quite a bit making the lens hood less necessary than with many lenses. Adding a filter (never a great idea for sharpness and flare) would negate this advantage. A high quality filter would cost nearly as much as the lens it was protecting. Considering the price of the lens and recessed front element, I would use neither. If you do want a hood, I'd try one of the collapsable rubber generic models that sell for a fraction of the price of the Canon models.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:18 PM   #3

I would even consider if the 50mm f/1.8 is necessary at all - granted it's an inexpensive lens
Sure the f/1.8 is nice to play with, however it's not at its sharpest at this aperture :idea:
-> from f/2.8 on a zoom such as the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 can be just as sharp (and comes with the hood):

I have the 50mm f/1.4 but mine stays mostly @ home...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote