Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:11 AM   #1

Gurus ,
Heres a curly one , having a problem with a second hand lens I bought off www.trademe.co.nz an auction site here in N.Z.
Put the sigma 170-500mm on my eos 20d and across top info screen err99 appears . HMMMMMMMMMMM
put other lens back in no probs at all.
Turns out that my new lens is incompatible with my camera . so I contact the New Zealand supplier of sigma lenses and find out that it can be rectified at a cost of around $150 for rechipping the lens to make it compatible with my camera ohhhhh goody 800 dollar lens becomes $950
plus postage and 4 weeks with out lens. not what i want at all .
Previous owner used it on eos 1ds with no probs ????????
My question is what actually is going to be needed here to be done to the lens?
The supplier said rechipping because canon altered the voltages (something like that) rendering certain sigma lenses useless and others needing rechipping.Funny thing is I actually took a couple of photos with it and it worked but it has since stopped and err 99ing out on me!!!
any advice would be appreciated .
sojouner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:57 AM   #2

Exactly - Some Sigma lenses made before Y2k has this voltage incompatibility issue and need to be re-chipped to match the logic level - It works fine on some older camera, but not on the newer models - The battery charged state also has a lot to do with this working or not...

Stick to newer lenses manufactured after year 2000 or model with HSM (i.e. EX pro series) from Sigma which do not have this issue
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote