Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:54 PM   #1

Question to all.... Has anyone been using the 16-35 f2.8L for action?

I do horseshows, and my 70-200 f2.8L IS is incredible... perfect for what I do... but I have the 24-70 f2.8L for my closer shooting used alot with a flash.... sometimes it takes good photos, but is lacking considerably to the kind of shots I need.

my 24-70 2.8L isn't cutting it at all. Have had the lens replaced from a bad copy... new one is good, while excellent for close up portraits... not what I need on action or even landscapes. Doesn't deliver the detail and sharpness I need. The landscapes are nothing excciting with this lens at all.

any experience out there with this sort of situation?

I need to get a comparable lens to the image quality of my big lens (70-200 f2.8L IS)... but in wide angle- for action, used both in low light with and without flash, and in open sunlight.
thinking 16-35 f2.L may be it. ???

Rico1Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:33 AM   #2

From my in store experience, the 16-35 was the least sharpest L that I tried (I also tried the 24-70L, 24-105L and the 70-200 IS). I don't think you'll be too happy with it.

Are you using a 1.6x body? If FF isn't an issue, the EF 17-55 f/2.8 IS is nice along with the tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and the soon-to-be-released tokina 16-50 f/2.8 (well, hopefully it'll be nice).

But such a wide angle for action photography... O.o
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:44 AM   #3

yes, I have the crop factor 1.6, I am using a 20D.* I plan to keep the lens and later move into a full size body... so still unsure about purchasing a digital lens.* I have heard good things about the 17-55 f2.8 IS.* I may try one.* my camera store will let me try it and if it doesn't do what I want it to I have 7 days to return.* I also have the canon 50mm 1.4 lens.... still testing it out... but need a little zoom with my wide for the horseshow action.thanks for the info!becky
Rico1Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:52 AM   #4

Have you take a look @ the new 24-105 f/4 L?
-> The newer 24-105 L exceeds the 24-70 L in every category although 1-stop slower it does come with IS. Remember that most L are quite 'antique' in design, and the newer zooms have come a long way sometime exceeding the primes in many situation...

However BoYFrMSpC is also quite correct in that if you have a 1.6x camera, the 'digital' lenses tend to be sharper than the 'L' in general and the EFs 17-55 f/2.8 is among one of them. Also don't rule any 3rd party lenses out especially Tamron or Tokina since theses vendors 'digital' lens can equal the best of Canon (@ a lower cost), but also can work on a full-frame (albeit at a less stellar performance but they fit a full-frame unlike the EFs)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote