Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1

I'm considering the Canon 5d. The issue I'm grappling with is what lenses to get. I currently am using a Canon 300d with Tamron 28-300mm. I find that I use entire range of my current lens and could use a little more on each end. I shoot a lot outdoors including wildlife and I need wide angle for interior shots. Though I use a tripod much of the time I would like have IS at least in the mid ranges. The Tamron 28-300 coupled with a 2x converter makes for a 9" minimum focus and gives reasonably sharp macros, it is useless as a telephoto. I am concerned with the quality at the edges with the full frame sensor and want to make LARGE prints. I have narrowed my selection to 3 lenses; Canon 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS, Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 DG, plus a quality 1.4x teleconverter. This list overtops my budget. If I were to go with the list I would probably drop the 70-200 though this may in the long run prove to be the most useful lens. Any suggestions on alternative lens that would soften the impact on my budget and maintain image quality would be appreciated. Thank you.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links