Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:12 PM   #1

I recently bought a S3 IS at CC, but there was no Factory seal on the Box.
This is a High end piece of equipment that retails for $500

and the thought that it doesn't even come with a factory seal is bothersome

The Salesman said that canon does not seal its cameras, howeve after callin CC Customer Service they say that all Digital Cameras must have a seal on them

Mine did not.

In this day and age when cheap items from abtteries to memory cards and other stuff com ein this impenetrable blister packing and extra seals

I find it highly unlikely that Canon does not seal its cameras Sony does they seal a cheap $99 P&S

So was your Canon of any kind "sealed" by some factory tape or other wise?

I mean you can buy a $9.99 Xbox Vidoe game and it has Double Factory seals your gonna tell me a $500 Canon just come wide open?
IceColdKila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:51 PM   #2

The box for my A520 was not sealed. Inside, the batteries were heat-shrunk inside a plastic wrapping. The camera itself, the MMC card, the manuals,and CD were in plastic bags which were taped shut, but they were not sealed. I don't think Canon seals up the boxes.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:17 PM   #3

my batteries were the same.

it just seems weird

I know I've seem Canons with Canon seals

Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:25 PM   #4

My A620 was not sealed

Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:30 PM   #5

My S2 wasn't sealed, all stuff inside was wrapped up nice and batteries shrink

wrapped. Box had no indication of being open.

jcotton55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:10 PM   #6

I'm not sure on the S3 but my S2 bought at aToronto Walmart was not sealed. Now people are going to go "Wallyworld!!?? It's been fingered and poked" Well the CSR in electronics had to get it out fromthe back and I examined it carefully before accepting the camera. Factory seal is nice but it could also be jimmy'ed as well if the previous person had a spare factory seal tape as well.

What you should look for is the uniformity of the box. Check for tiny lifts on the sides of the cardboard flaps. People tend to use knives to use those areas as leverage to minimize box damage when opening the box.

Check the sitckers on all the items inside. It's VERY hard not to get dust into the lens area and the LCD area of the camera. Check the camera and see if there is dust and such in there. If there is a lot chances are it may have been a use and return unit. If so and you still want it I'd pull the managerout and ask for a better deal out of fairness.

You will notice that some companies make thier boxes in a way so that if you open them it will look like you opened it because of the way the cardboard cutout was designed making the box hard to open without bending a piece of the cardboard and such. If you see something like that then chances are item is untampered but I would do a right then in person inspection with the CSR there as well so you have an extra set of eyes seeing that everything is in check.

Just a thought. Hope that helps.

zero_enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:21 PM   #7

Yeah its normal for the S3 to be Unsealed I called Canon they don't seal

CC reps say the Barcode serial number is by default on Top Right mine was

No dust anywhere

everything shrink wrapped.

I've actually left the Original Batteries Shrink wrapped and the 16MB SD card joke fully wrapped so If I ever sell it it looks Factory

Its just silly in a day and age when a $9 Video games is Double Factory sealed

that a $500 Camera doesn't warrant a 1 cent piece of Factory Tape from Canon.

Old Sep 15, 2006, 3:27 PM   #8

Rebel XT not sealed, SD700IS not sealed, S2 IS not sealed.
waltm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:07 PM   #9

Nothing I've bought in the digital age has ever been factory sealed. That includes:

Canon Digital Rebel, 10D, any EF lens, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus E-1, any Olympus lenses, etc.

The last piece of equipment I purchased that was "factory sealed" was a Leica M series lens and itcost more than any one of the above items, so no, don't read anything into your S3 coming in an unsealed box. It aint happening at that price.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:48 PM   #10

*double post*
Mynzeyes is offline   Reply With Quote