Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:41 AM   #1

Hey guys,

This is really a comment more than anything else.

Last year at around this time I was looking to buy my first digital camera. I was waiting for the replacement for the G6. But it never came. And I think most of us assumed Canon had killed off their highly sucessful G-series cameras. And what do we have here? Just announced today. The G7!!

Unfortunately, it's also missing some key features that madethe G-series cameras soattractive (at least in my mind). And that is the "flip-out LCD screen" and the ability to save images in the RAW format. Good thinking Canon! :P NOT!!

Never mind the fact that it's priced at $600 USD. Which puts it in the same pricerange as entry-level DSLR cameras. Hmmmm...which way would you go if you were planning to spend $600-800 USD?

Oh and I ended up with a Sony DSC-H1. Very happy with it. Got a great deal on it. Has a 12x optical zoom, uses 2 AA NiMH/Alkaline batteries, nice powerful builtin flash, semi-auto modes (e.g. program AE, aperture priority...etc.) and a full manual mode. Though no RAW support. But that's not a big deal as this is my first digital camera. And bought it just to get my feet wet.

Also, I am definitely planning to get a DSLR. I wonder if Canon will announce any new DSLR's in the coming weeks. Replacement for the EOS 1D Mark II-N? 5D? And I suppose it would be too early to expect a replacement of the 30D? All using the new Digic III chip...Hmmmm.......

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:41 PM   #2

Canon announces the G7 > So what?

Get a 6 megapixel dSLR and a medium kit lens and you're gonna have much better pics that the G7 will ever deliver.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote