Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 1, 2003, 3:59 PM   #1
Default Can't install A70 on Windows Millennium via USB

I cannot install my Canon Powershot A70
The driver I am having problems with is Windows Camera Driver WIA 6.0 supplied on the CD-Rom, which came with the camera.

Having loaded the software, I connected the camera to the PC via the USB and everything appeared ok until I got the New Hardware Found dialogue box displaying the message "Windows is installing the software for your new hardware." There was no HDD activity and after a while Control+Alt+Delete showed that this programme was not responding. I now get the same messages and seize up when I plug in the camera.

In Control Panel, the camera is not shown in the "Scanners & Cameras" Folder but under Device Manager it appears as an Imaging Device as "Canon Digital Camera" with a yellow exclamation mark & the error message " The device is not configured correctly (Code1). " Under properties it says, "No drivers are required or have been installed for this device." My reading of the Canon Software Starter Guide is that this camera does need a driver with Windows Millennium Edition.

When I click on the "update driver" button it finds the driver but then the whole computer freezes and Control+Alt+Delete shows that the Update Driver Wizard is not responding. This happens with or without the CD-Rom in the drive.

Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2003, 11:05 PM   #2

I'm having the same problem with a new A60 and Windows 98 SE.

ellrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 12:46 AM   #3

Please follow these steps to correct the driver problem.

1) Disconnect the camera.

2) Remove the WIA drivers from the ADD/REMOVE section in the control panel.

** The following step doesn't have anything to do with your drivers but it ensures your USB ports are using Microsoft drivers correctly. If you are absolutely sure that your USB ports are working correctly you can skip step 3.

3) Go to the Device Manager in the Control Panel in Windows.
Uninstall ALL items under the section entitled "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" in the Device Manager(Should be last one, you will have to expand group by clicking on the "+").

4) Restart computer and be patient as Windows redetects the USB ports.

5) Reinstall drivers from CD.(It should "autorun" when the CD is inserted into drive)

Should be all set!
CanonGuru is offline   Reply With Quote