Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:51 PM   #1

Hey guys I am new to the forum and just had a look around very nice ! I just picked up an S3 tonight but have been using the A series for a while now. I do allot of outdoor stuff and like the idea of the 12x zoom for animal shots etc.

I was just wondering what the best recommended settings were ? Is it best just to leave it on auto and all the rest on defaults ? I do allot of deer hunting and will use it to take pictures of them in the field. I tried the Landscape symbol but always get the non stable symbols flashing in red and blurry pics but all the rest seem fine. This unit is a little bigger that I am use to but so far it looks great !

Bigmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:38 AM   #2

I would suggest starting with the P (Program) mode and avoid Auto entirely. With P, you may specify what ISO to use or leave it in auto ISO. You may also use custom color balance, or select one of the preset color balance settings, use custom color balance, or leave it in auto color balance. You may also use exposure compensation when you have a backlit situation, etc. and auto exposure bracketing. If you use the Auto mode on the dial, you have no control, other than image resolution and compression setting, except to aim and shoot. If you're planning to shoot fast moving animals, you might want to try the Sports mode which uses a relatively high shutter speed - or simply use the Tv mode and select the shutter speed yourself. Also, for shooting animals and children, the burst mode is very helpful. Eventually you may want to use full manual control, but the P mode is a great place to start.

The landscape mode is probably trying to use a small aperture so as to get lots of depth of field, forcing longer exposure time. It's best to use a tripod in that mode.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:47 PM   #3

I have the Canon S2, and I am basically a novice. With the photos that I have taken, I agree with DaveLundy that the P mode is a good one to use. It often provides better pics that Auto, since the camera does not need to makeALL the decisions regarding settings, but it does not require full manual settings. Particularly with outside shots, I often use auto ISO, set the color balance based on the actual light (i.e. cloudy, daylight, etc.), and set the color to VIVID.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote