Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:56 PM   #1

I've had my S3 for a couple of weeks now and have gotten some excellent shots, but I don't have enough experience with it to be considered "profficient". My bike club is putting on the Iron Cross this weekend - America's longest 'cross race - and our photagrapher bailed. I was elected, and I am delighted to have an excuse not to race (!!!), but can anyone give me some advice/tips on outside shooting of an event with lots of changing conditions and rapidly moving subjects? Card size and speed? I took some shots for my own enjoyment last year with a Minolta Z1 and had mixed results, but I want to come up with more polished results for this event. Thanks! Great site, lots of excellent feedback. By the way, "mostly sunny" is the current forecast both days.
RedBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:12 PM   #2

Have you thought about trying sports mode and set your timer to burst/continuous mode so that when you push the button and hold it down you keep getting shot after shot. In sports mode, it will take faster than any other mode because it does not review each picture.

You can also put it in shutter priority mode, probably faster than 1/60 to freeze the action, also with the burst/continous mode to try to get as many shots in a short time as possible. You can try a polarizer to cut down on glare if it is a mostly sunny day or the hood assembly or both.
RenoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:48 PM   #3

your going to need a large memory card too, maybe a few of them. you will be supprised how many pictures you can take in a very short amount of time at an event like this especially if you use the burst mode. Being a racer yourself and knowing the sport will help you anticipate the action which is good. Even with your S3 there is still some shutter lag. Be sure and try different angles too, some low shots around axle level shooting up at the racers, stuff like that.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote