Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:06 PM   #11

dont wish to take up too much forum space but thought i would like to add that using anything other than an optical view finder in low light was not the best.. First i did not like the Frankensten stance, or the various shades of reds (Lumix) plus framing my shot was not as good as seeing more detail from an optical finder... One last thing, outside in bright light was a challenge also ... for me that is.. My friend just bought a nice slim Nikon with no view finder, she seems happy with it, but she is not what you would call 'an avid picture taker' .

Best wishes,

Michael ......
Rebelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:47 AM   #12

Shari wrote:
Hi Michael - thanks for you comments.* Since I wrote that post I have looked at cameras and I would prefer something slimmer and smaller than the 710.* I also have a Fuji S5200 with a 10X zoom.* I am now having trouble with the decision of viewfinder or not.* There are so many issues to decide on for what is best for me.* I do have Photoshop Elements 5 for post processing so don't really worry about red eye.* I do know that I want at least a 2.5 LCD screen - now that I have seen them.

If you were like me and used a camera with no optical viewfinder, you will learn to aim and hold steadily using the LCD alone...in effect actually taking better pics (depending on the situation of course).
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 1:34 PM   #13

I think everyone is different. I find that if I use just the LCD I don't take time to look what is in the photo outside of the focus element. I find with the viewfinder I take better photos. Even though in the end I can crop out what I don't want the viewfinder helps. Also sometimes the sun is just too bright for the screen. I know you can get sun shades but the reason I want a small camera is so I can stick it in my pocket. Don't want to haul other things around. I think the 700 or 800 IS is small and does the trick.

Shari is offline   Reply With Quote