Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:16 AM   #1
Default Can't find A70 ANYWHERE!!

Has anyone had huge problems finding a store that has the A70 in stock!??! I have looked and called everywhere, and none of the places have it (both in central illinois and southern michigan). Some stores said that there isn't a warehouse in the nation that has it in stock, and they can't even order it for me! Does anyone know what's going on with this? I would like to stay away from ordering it from a random mail order place online just so I can easily return it if there are problems, but I just CANNOT find it! Ahhh!
gobluegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2003, 3:10 AM   #2

If you can't find it at a store, I'd suggest bhphotovideo.com
This place is arguably the most respected online photography stores in the world, plus they usually have price better than those found at a usual retail. Best of all, they seem to have a straightforward return policy.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 3:18 AM   #3

Same problem in Europe (Denmark). Canon can't keep up with the huge demand for A70. It's sold out in every store!!!!
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 12:00 PM   #4
Default Staples

Hi There,

I had the same problem trying to find an A70 in stock. I had nothing but failure at all of the large electronics stores, and a couple of local camera shops.
I was able to find A70's in stock at Staples, for $299.99 (average cost for most stores). I can only assume that they were in stock because people don't automatically think "photography" when they think "Staples".

Good luck (and the camera is fantastic, by the way)!
myboypat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 7:48 PM   #5

Found It!

The "Meijers" chains usually have 1 in stock every few days. I would try calling in Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo, Michigan or Illinois.

Go here...

I bought mine from a Grand Rapids Meijers for $310 out the door. Great camera if you can find one! I warned everyone in another post about the availability of the A70. I purchased mine about 1 month ago. It was in the back stock room!! I am lucky to say the least. You are right in saying that Canon cannot keep up. I can confirm this as well.

CAUTION! If you are trying to order the A70 online(or any digital device a manufacturer is behind on) the order will probably be put on backorder, if not, cancelled all together. This is because many people still order online and those stores have a hard time keeping up as well. Calling an online store will do nothing if all they have are 100 or less cameras left. You can be guaranteed that you're at the end of the line of about 20,000 or so people.

Instead it is HIGHLY recommended that you pick up one from a PHYSICAL STORE! This will speed things up and also give you a better/faster return policy(if need be). Canon says that shipments can be expected to catch up in late august! Ouch!

It is a very...very! popular mainstream consumer camera.
CanonGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:59 AM   #6

I must be one of the lucky ones and didn't realize it. I bought the A70 about 3 weeks ago at Office Max, when they had it on sale for $299 plus a free 128-megabyte CF card. I love it so far.
razzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 1:45 PM   #7
Default found one

Got mine at Staples this past Tuesday. The first staples I went to was sold out but I asked if they could check other stores. one store 5 miles away had 4 (3 for sale one on display). The salesman told me to go right away because they couldn't hold it for me and this model was a quick seller and the computer might not be up to date from the day before. I went. They had it. So far I love it. Works great with iPhoto on Mac OSX

PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 6:34 PM   #8

For the benefit of those who don't mind mail order:

This place has a well deserved GREAT reputation:

You can read reviews on the Adorama experience here:

Note the occaisional bad experience; I can only say that my personal experience was EXCELLENT, and I will check with them FIRST for all my future photographic needs!

Ask for the "Better Price" shown in the ad. I received email for $279.95 Price, received my A70 (Brand New, Facrory sealed) in 2days!!! Salesman was VERY knowledgeable, assured me they were in stock.

Now "playing with it". Will state that it is even smaller than I thought (used to my big SLR), but seems to work like a charm!
hagar1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 6:16 AM   #9
Default Really??

It's strange that in Italy (I live here) the A70 has not the succes that has in the other part of the world, i find a place where it is sell at 350 (340$)!!
giambosuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 4:20 PM   #10
Default Canon A70

The D-Store shows it in stock at $349. I have bought from this store a number of times and have had great service.
cnw4002 is offline   Reply With Quote