Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:26 AM   #1

A friend has just bought a Powershot G7. Can my Speedlite 420EX be used on his G7? Will some features that are present in the G7+430EX combination be lost in the G7+420EX combination? What, exactly, are the differences between the 430EX and its predecesor, the 420EX?
nmswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:24 PM   #2

If it is an EX flash, you can use it on the G7, so the 420EX or 430EX will be useable. I've only owned the 420EX, so I can't help you with the differences between the 420EX and 430EX.

That said, the flash is far from "fully dedicated" to a G7....

The infrared AF assist light on the EX flash unitDOES NOT WORK on a G series camera, so you are no better off than how the AF assist light works on the G7, which is, hopefully, better than the AF assist light worked on the G5.

One way I have always liked to work with my SLR's is to have my camera set to manual exposure mode, set my own apertures and shutter speeds, then mount the flash and let it work in TTL mode. That is NOT HOW IT WORKS with a G series camera. If you set your camera's exposure mode to "M"anual, the flash goes into manual mode too, with the camera giving you manual increments of flash to figure out what works best....good luck with that.

Your best option is to simply mount the flash, set your camera to "P", go with it and forget aboutit being able to be as versatile a combination as the flash is on a DSLR...it isn't.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote