Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:53 AM   #1

I'm starting my "research" on teleconverter lenses for the Canon S3. This lens will be left attached and used primarily for wildlife photography through Yellowstone Park this Feb and again in September.

I've heard that Raynox and Canon both make these units. I'll consider any brand but Sony. I just don't like Sony.

If anyone has a handle on these lenses, I'd appreciate advice on which one does the best job, is the lightest, works with the fewest menu changes etc.

If there are options available on power, I'd probably go for the highest power, all else being equal.

Hoping someone has a clear choice. It will help me a lot.

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:40 PM   #2

if you've searched the forum you'll see I've got a raynox dcr-1540 pro relatively recently and am extremely happy with it

see the deer shot in this thread (this was one of my first with the lens)

I don;t think you should rule out Sony I have seen excelelnt results with it and it will give you tht bit extra reach (1.7x) over the canon and raynox. there is Also the Olympus TCON 17 (1.7x) to consider.

raynox do a 2.2x converter which gives out of focus results around the edges of the pcture, but potentialy it is still useable if you keep the subject in the centre and don't mind cropping. It could sitll get you the shot that you might miss otherwise....

check here

you might also want to register over at http://www.canons3is.com which I am finding to be a great site specific to s3

Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote