Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 28, 2006, 4:51 PM   #1

I received a Canon A530 for Christmas. I am very dissapointed in it. The flash charge or flash recycle time on the auto setting is approximately 20 seconds both inside at night at outside in late afternoon (about 4:00). I find this ridiculous and unacceptable for my needs. I have used both alkaline and NiMH, but have no lithium batteries. There was absolutely no difference in speed between the two types. I am looking to return this camera and replace it with another one. However, I have now purchsed several SD memory cards so I would like it to be compatible with that, but if it can't be I can switch. My husband has a Fuji Finepix S7000 which I love, except it is too large to lug around on vacation (Disney World). This is our primary use for the camera we are looking for and will be taking mostly pictures with kids both indoor and outdoor. We are wanting a basic point and shoot. I was looking at the Canon A630 and A640. Any suggestions? My budget limit is $300-$350 on the camera but I would prefer a little less than that. Please help!
becca-becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:42 PM   #2

I think either the A630 or A640 would be an improvement in the flash recycle speed department. However, I find it hard to believe your A530 takes 20 seconds to recycle..I would have thought more like 9 or 10 seconds - which is sluggish, but 20 seconds leads me to believe there might be something wrong with your camera or batteries.

I know you have an abundance of SD cards, but since you seem to be fond of at least one Fuji product, have you considered the F30? It would be good for kid pics, especially in low light situations. Interesting comparison here:

Flash recycle time around 2.3 seconds (with redeye reduction off).

$50 rebate on the F30 until 1/31/07.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote