Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:04 PM   #1

I got a S2 for Christmas, to replace my A80. I love the longer zoom; which is reasonI wanted a new camera. Most of the pictures I take are of my kids playing sports (lacrosse, field hockey, basketball, cross country, rugby, etc.) I have only had a couple of occasions to try the camera, and admit that I am more of a point & shoot kind of person, but I am a little disappointed with the quality of the photos I am getting. A friend with the same camera suggested using the AV & TV modes, but I am still not getting the shots I had hoped for.

I know that that S3 has a sports or action mode. Do you think that would help? I can probably still return this camera and upgrade to the S3. But, I got a good price on this one (at Dell), and the prices on the S3 aren't so hot right now, meaning I'd have to put out a good bit more money.

I also know the lcd screen is a tad bigger, which my failing eyesight would probably appreciate.

Is it worth it to make the change? Or can someone share the settings they use to get action shots of kids?

tlchogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:21 PM   #2

Do you have some samples? I have the S1 and I've taken a few action shots but it isn't too fast. I did prefocus and waited for the action.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:21 PM   #3

Sorry...I tried to attach a sample but it was too big. The shots inside a gym are dark and/or blurry, and the skateboard shots are just blurry. It really could be user error since I admit I am new to having to adjust settings.

Dell said I could exchange the S2, but I am still not sure if t is going to be worth the extra money for the s3--approximately $160 to upgrade.
tlchogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 5:12 PM   #4

I don't know the s2 but I have an s1, and had an s3 for a couple of weeks. They all have the sports/action mode to my knowledge. It's the third setting up on the dial from movie mode. I returned the s3 because it wasn't as good as my s1 with what I wanted to photograph, at least. Here's a picture of one of my fish taken on the action setting without the flash. He darts around pretty quick. I took it with my S1 on New Year's Day.

Hope this helps.
Take care,

Attached Images
mduros is offline   Reply With Quote