Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:27 AM   #1

The S3 has a 4x digital zoom and the Sony H5 has a 2x digital zoom. Does the 4x zoom really make that much of a difference?
lmn927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:05 PM   #2

You don't want to use digital zoom anyway, it degrade image quality.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 6:01 PM   #3

If you are talking about optical zoom then, the more the better, usually. Digital zoom on the other hand is the same as cropping your image on your computer. If you've ever cropped a small portion of one of your photos and saw how it degraded image quality, that is digital zoom. The very first thing that should be done with any digicam is to turn off the digital zoom.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:53 AM   #4

Normally using digital zoom in the camera is the same ascropping on your computer and does degrade image quality. But with the S3IS for example I've found if you have to using about 1/2 out on the digital zoom end it is still'livable'. If it had a few extra megapixels it would of course be better but I have attached a photo taken at full6MP, 12x optical +FULL 4x digital on the S3IS.I have tried the H5 with full digital and I could not even get it to focus on the moon to even get a shot to compare. (Click on image below)

Matt, PA. U.S.
Attached Images
Photofreak777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:21 AM   #5

2X digital zoom uses 1.5 Mp of a 6 Mp sensor. 4X digital zoom uses about a third of a megapixel, or about the same as the camera in an inexpensive cellphone. Most cameras add insult to injury by resampling that small portion of the sensor back up to 6Mp or whatever the camera is set for. So for a 4X digital zoom shot it takes the full size on your memory card but gives quality close to a lower end cellphone.

You can accomplish the same thing by leaving the digital zoom turned off and cropping the image. And you have the choice of blowing it back up or leaving it as it is.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote