Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 26, 2007, 7:26 AM   #1

I have a Canon SD700is. I have problems recently taking pictures of anything that is moving. I took pics of my nephews and friends playing around in our living room and some of their faces are blurred and some are ok. I took this camera to Waikliki right after I got it and I was able to take a lot of good pics while my kids and nephews were playing on the beach. I cant figure ot why it does not work for me anymore. Pls. help.
Pogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:55 PM   #2

Image stabilization corrects for the movement of the camera, not the subject. If you are shooting indoors, without a flash, the camera will select a long shutter timer 1/15-1/4 range. Anything moving in front of these slow shutter speeds will blur.

Outside in daylight is not a problem, with plenty of light the camer can select a fast shutter speed which will freeze the image.

Use a flash indoors if you are getting blurred subjects, or change to your ISO to "Auto HI" or a 400 or so.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 4:00 PM   #3

As reppans suggested, use the flash.

What's bright to the human eye can be pretty dim to a camera's lens, and a well lit home interior is low light to a camera.

If the camera tries to keep the shutter open long enough for proper exposure indoors (so that you don't have dark/underexposed images), it can be slow enough that you'll see motion blur from subject movement, especially at lower ISO speeds.

With most non-DSLR cameras, using a flash indoors is your best bet. Otherwise, you'll have higher noise if you try to increase ISO speed (which is how sensitive the sensor is to light) and/or motion blur from subject movement (since the camera must keep the shutter open long enough to prevent underxposed images).

Getting good photos of non-stationary subjects without a flash indoors is tough, even with a DSLR capable of much higher ISO speeds. Note that each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for any given lighting and aperture.

For more information on how Lighting, ISO speed (shown as film speed in the calculator), Aperture and Shutter Speed interact, see this page:

Note that your camera has a largest available aperture (represented by a smaller f/stop number) of f/2.8 . But, it's largest available aperture of f/2.8 is only at it's widest zoom setting (least apparent magnification). It loses light as more zoom is used. So, don't zoom in any more than necessary, or you'll need even longer shutter speeds for proper exposure.

If you want to try using a higher ISO speed instead of flash, there are some good tools to reduce the appearance of noise (that grainy look you'll get if you increase your ISO speed). But, your model's highest available ISO speed may still not allow capturing subjects without motion blur if they're not perfectly still in most indoor conditions without a flash.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote