Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:07 PM   #1

I have a G7 on order (to replace a SD550) and have been finding various sites with sample images. My question is about what I seem to see in the samples using either ISO 1600 or the 3200 mode.

Atleast to my eyes on the monitor, the 3200 images seem to have less noise than the 1600 ones. Now I believe I read that in the "3200 mode" the camera does not use the highest resolution of the 10mp sensor - I believe I read it's around 6mp in this mode. Is that why the noise seems less? If that's one of the reasons, it is advisable to use a lower resolution whenever you have to use a higher ISO?

Swandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:48 PM   #2

Hi Steve,

The Scene position 3200 has several limitations: first of all, it's a Scene mode, and not a specific ISO setting available for PSAMC modes as the other iso settings. Secondly, the 3200 mode gives you a maxi 1600x1200 pixel picture (2 megapixel picture), witch limits it's use to print up to 10x15cm (4"x6").

Once this noted, it's thru that you may have better results for 10x15cm pictures with that 3200 iso mode than with the 1600 iso setting. But don't look only at the screen to compare the results, print your pictures to see what's the best.

Xophedebx is offline   Reply With Quote