Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:36 AM   #1

I am going to be spending 6 months backpacking through east and southern Africa later this year and am working out what volume SD cards to take with me. I'm not expecting to be able to duck into cafes to download ontoCD every few days so need a decent amount of capacity (I'm quite snap happy). I have my beautiful new S3 IS, atlhough last week I encountered a memory card error where the card stopped functioning. It was a new card and I rather stupidly didn't format it. Having done some research it seems to be a fairly common problem, and I am off to try some of the recovery programmes referred to elsewhere on this forum and hopefully will recover my photos. HOwever, it has made me pause for thought about what cards to take with me and I'd be grateful for any views/advice.

My plan was to take a bunch of 1 gig cards (it was a Sandisk 1 gig that died on me) so that I didn't have all my eggs in one basket in the event of a meltdown on any particular card. Now I am beginning to wonder whether I should take smaller cards again. I simply can't bear the thought of losing up to 700 photos! I've never used SD cards before because my old camera used CF and I've always downloaded fairly regularly. Are there issues in using them as longer term storage? Do they cope ok with heat? As they're so precious and so small I'd be inclined to keep them in my security moneybelt but that would mean they'd be maintained a fairly high temperatures (ie body heat+) a lot. Is there anything else I should consider before forking out or any particular brands that are considered more reliable?

Cheers, K.
kam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:52 AM   #2

Hi, try a brand name card (e.g. sandisk) 4 gb or 8 gb.
Good luck and enjoy your trip
cornel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:31 PM   #3

I'd recommend taking quite a few smaller cards - after experiencing a card dying in my camera and reading the other card-correption problesm I see on the forums here.
ramayer is offline   Reply With Quote