Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 6, 2007, 3:48 PM   #1

No, this isn't announcing a recall or any other bad news, just the start of what I hope will be a PRACTICAL and HELPFUL thread for those of us still waiting to step up to the line with our check book.
The professional reviews knocked the camera for file size and the short battery life as well as the "ergonomics".
What I'm hoping to get from forum members on this thread are your impressions of the practical aspects of this camera rather than a lot of technical stuff about noise, changing file formats, fringing etc. Maybe we can start with the assumption that the stills and videos are good. Comments on price of this unit being too expensive probably aren't important since liked it enough to buy it. However, please comment on anything you think would be helpful to the rest of us.

Would you buy this camera again?

What do you especially like about it?

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2007, 3:07 AM   #2

Hi I'm from Bulgaria and I recently bought CANON's Powershot TX1.
Stills and videos are very good. :-) Although I find some of the Automatic settings not too good. I think the camera is trying to increase the ISO almost in every situation and thus spare the Flash from firing. May be it's trying to save the battery . The same is the situation when recording video - ISO is going up when not enough light. The good news is there is MANUAL mode for stills, and some manual settings for the video also. Recorded sound is perfect quality.
Camera design is very good. It fits in my hand tightly. I like the 10x zoom feature and the IS lens stabilization. Big fun. It is very good family camera. I'm using it to shoot my new born baby every day.
If you have any questions, ask

best regards
niki_funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 7:37 AM   #3

Thanks for the nice response. Congratualtions on your new baby. That's the best reason so far that I'v heard for having the TX1!

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 3:23 PM   #4

I'm considering the TX1 but haven't found out whether the HD MJPG files will be recognized by my Panasonic DMR-ES46V DVD recorder/player will recognize the files and play them back. It plays JPGs and MP3 files just fine. MJPG files aren't mentioned in the manual.

I'm reluctant to convert the video files because I want to retain HD capability. The TX1 allows direct connection to my HD TV, but it would be a hassle to save the MJPG files on the hard drive or DVD then re-load them back to the SD card to view the files on my TV.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote