Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 2, 2003, 8:11 PM   #1
Default Canon G1 to Canon S400: Would this be an upgrade??

Had the G1 for 3 years now since it was first released. Considering upgrading to the G3 but find it a bit big like the G1. I'm wondering whether the newer S400 would take better pix quality than the G1? Other considerations I'm seriously thinking is the Pentax Optio 550 and the Canon S45. Thanks for the opinions.
fld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2003, 8:51 PM   #2

Personally, I would choose the S45 over the S400 for my primary camera if I did not want to spend the money on a G3. I find the S400 little feature/settings poor compared to the G3 or S45 but is a great second camera for my wife to carry in her purse for those "where's the camera when I need it" moments. The S45 is 90% a G3. There are a few differences between the S45 and G3; lens optics (but nonetheless exceptional in its own right), includes a Fast Shutter and Slow shutter settings option on the mode dial that are not available (outside of manual settings) on the G3, and does not have external flash capabilities like the G3.

But it uses the exact same CCD that the G3 does.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2003, 3:45 AM   #3
Default S45 & G3

Personally if size is not an issue, the G3 would be my first candidate. However since using a G1 right now, I feel that its not quite as pocketable as the S400 or even the S45. Will consider the S45...

Yeah, i'm a canon user as well. G1, Optura Pi, Canon EOS1n with L lenses.
fld is offline   Reply With Quote