Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:13 PM   #1

I have had my Canon S5 IS for abouttwo weeks now and am pleased withit.All myprevious digital cameras have been Canon PowerShots -- S300/S80/SD700 IS -- and most of thePICSwere taken in the Auto Mode with excellent results. :-) However, with my new S5 I want to learn the various modes and many adjustmentsin order togetthe very best photos possible. From what I have read, the S2/3/5 IS cameras performat their very best when not in the Auto Mode. I hope to learn much from reading and participating in these forums which appear to have a wealth of good information.

The PICS below were taken last weekend at a car show using the Program Mode/ISO 80with UV and polarizer filters.

GaryA-BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:02 PM   #2

I just love thatMercury!

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:20 PM   #3

I have an S3 and use P almost all the time when not using one of the mode dial options. I call P mode (auto on steroids) because you then have all of the function menu options available to you.

Nice shots with your S5.
beegjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:20 AM   #4

nice photos!

and i truly hate full Auto settings...I have another older olympus and cameras can't decide if jumping to a higher ISO will degrade the photo. I handed the S3 to a friend who is not that experienced with digital photos...At first I didn't realize why all of his pics looked soft and had a slightorange tint...he switched it to Auto

by the way...is that a lensmate adapter? 58mm?

I got one cheap on ebay and tried two hoods pedal and rubber 52mm...

I just got my s3...got a great deal...the only thing I wish it had that yours does is the hot shoe

my preferred setting so far for indoors.....+2/3 ev, +2/3 flash (unless I'm very close), p, 80/100iso, +1 notch sharpness, -1 notch contrast, superfine/L, tungsten seems to work best indoors with flouresent /incandescent combination lighting (admittedly I am not sure if the +1 and -1 really makes a difference...the tungsten does!!)

PS....my cameras on steroids
Attached Images
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote