Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:52 AM   #1

I like the A70... especially Remote Capture (do hummingbird pictures that way) and also 15 second manual exposures for night time constellation pics.

ISO 400, though, is quite noisy and so an old Kodak 3900 does much better with night-time shots.

I'm intrigued by image stabilization, but saw that the 710 IS doesn't support RC!

I really like the Canon menu system; I'm assuming/hoping that's remained the same.

Having a large LCD screen that would be usable during the daytime would be a PLUS (and an advantage over the A70).

In any event, I'm interested in what my options are for around $200-300... all suggestions welcome--including other brands!
astroman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:31 PM   #2

I just bought the Canon A710-IS yesterday. I haven't had a chance to see what it can do but, I did fire off these shots a few moments ago through the 3rd floor of our house. All hand held in P mode. Some are crooked, was just looking to see the zoom results Photos on the left side is at 35mm, photos on the right are at 6x optical.

Warning, if you click on Original at the bottom of the photos full 7MP sized photos will be shown.

metalfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 9:31 AM   #3

The Canon A-710IS is a very good choice. I am sure you will be happy with the camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:46 AM   #4

Does it have a direct viewer? I don't know what that's officially called-- in other words, something you look through by holding the camera up to the eye--rather than looking at the screen itself.

Also, I'd be interested in your impressions of the 6x optical zoom! How well does that work? I'm assuming that the IS takes care of the usual shakes with such a wonderfully large zoom!

Also, can you confirm that it doesn't work with Remote Capture?
astroman007 is offline   Reply With Quote