Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:28 AM   #1

hi all.

oh Dear!

my wonderful a610 powershot died, a few days ago! died in the middle of shooting, now it is a "brick"!

[I got it to power down by taking batteries out, then doing a few "things' to it, but then i cannot power it back up again. no sign of life anywheres, even with new batteries, and i did get it to power up, then i could not get the power to shut off! so now it sits with the lens open, the only way to shut it off was to remove the batteries!]

should I try the "shipping back to canon", or should I just buy the now cheaper a620..a630..a640?!

two months left of warrentry.

a "cult" camera for sure, but I notice that in the Amazon reviews that there are a *LOT* of people who have had this camera die long long before even six months have gone by, of use! And not all from the "e18 error" either!

I note that the a 620...a630..a640 have practically NO people saying that they had problems with their models. Even though there are a few less people reviewing, a new series of camera, the ratio is astonishing: maybe the a610 was the "beta release' of the a600 series!!

The prices have gone down down down, on the 20s...30s..40s, even.

what to do, should i confront the shipping "slot machine" and pay the $20..30 for shipping back to canon warrentry center, and see if they will fix this under warrentry, and maybe wait the month, only to maybe have this happen again; or should I just buy one of the newer versions of the 600 series from a local storeand then get a Protection plan to go with this? Is the upgrade to the a620..a630..a640, thus, worth it?! And...*which* model should I then buy, if i go that route?

I will use this camera for pictures, of course, but also for video clips. www.blip.tv has a very good site with real good resolutions on the videos, makes my a610 have near-professional looking video quality.

I have read that the a620 should not be bought, as the sensor is the same size for a larger megapixel-field. but that the 630 and the 640 have a larger sensor.

I see, now, sales of $200, or so, for the 30s and 40s.

So please, someone comment on my small delemma, and give their advice.

thank you.....freestone wilson
freestonew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:47 PM   #2

A640 have a better video than A630.

But personally, I'd sugested you to wait a month for the new A650
SarahM is offline   Reply With Quote