Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 5, 2007, 3:41 PM   #1

I purchased the A630 about a month ago and love it - to a point. I also purhased the Canon lens adapter and Canon Wideangle Lens for the A630, love that wideangle lens too! The idea was that perhaps I may eventually get into trying my hand at real-estate photography. I've been practicing with friends homes indoors and out and getting better.

But then I needed to get a slave flash for the A630, so I got the Phoenix D91 and I've been learning the technical ins and outs of how this slave flash can be used, but it's still an issue of doing all things manually with this flash and also having to diffuse the A630's on-built flash so that it doesn't produce a shadow from having the wideangle lens attached - this is in addition to having the slave flash center-mounted above the camera. Anyway, it's a challenging learning experience.

Then I looked at the Canon S5 IS and liked that it had it's on-built flash centered already (which I think would help with removing the shadow cast by the wideangle lens)...but the fact that it also an intelligent hot shoe that I can attach Canon flashes and have them auto-scale their flash for the correct exposure - well that seemed like a really good thing for certain.

I also like the S5's live histogram, increased LCD resolution, and I can still technically use my wideangle lens with a different adapter (and very slight vignetting), and then there is the auto-exposure braketing that could come in handy for doing HDR images or photo editing to get rid of blown out windows. And then there the optical image stabilization - that's a big plus too.

But then when I look at the image quality of the S5 IS pics (here at Steve's) compared to the A630's - the S5 IS images look noiticebly worse than the A630. I mean, the S5 image of the M&M man looks terrible compared to the same image taken with the A630.

Then Canon annouces the A650 IS (12MP) which is just a more glorified A630 but doesn't have all the features as the S5. So I'm confused - sorta. I've read other posts here that swear by the S5 and love it, but then I can't get it out of my head that the image quality is worse than the A630. Help me out here with some thoughts and opinions please.

Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links