Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:18 PM   #1

I got an S5 this past Friday (picked up an 430EX as well on Saturday) so I'm diving in. Now in the setup menu I can see that there is a selectable setting for WC-DC58A, TC-DC58B, and 500D if you have one of these lenses attached. My question is this - does anyone know if any of these settings physically fine-tune or change the mechanics of the camera lens to operate any differently when one of these add-on lens is used, or is it just a setting that allows the attached lens to be listed in the EXIF data? I've taken pictures with all three settings (with no add-on lens) and can see no difference in the image.

It's not like those attachment lens are intelligent either since they're lenses only, so I ponder exactly why Canon bothers to put the setting in there...unless someone has an actual technical explanation.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:38 PM   #2

As I understand it, those menu items make the necesary adjustment so that the Canon S-5IS can focus properly with those accessory lenses attached.

Since you are diving into the S-5IS and have the EX-430 flash you should take a look at the Canon S-5IS Flash Tutorial, posted right in this folder. It tells you exactly and in detail how to use that EX-430 flash with the S-5IS. I think that it could be a real assist for you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote