Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 22, 2002, 7:41 AM   #1
Default Upgrading an A20 to A40

I've had the adventerous idea of attempting to upgrade a Powershot A20 to an A40 - what do you think?

Naturally, as with anything these days from the same manufacturer and product line, 90+% of the parts in the cameras will be the same, so it may be possible (for example, nearly all Soundblaster Lives are the same, just have different connectors and are only 'programmed' to be a value, or player 5.1, or whatever, and are easily reprogrammable by you).

So I think it is possible to make an A20 believe it's an A40 - does anyone know if the hardware is any different? Things like the extra manual settings in the A40 will all be done in the software I imagine, and these are what I'm hoping to get in my A20.

later, and let me know if I'm crazy,

pentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2002, 9:25 PM   #2

Not to say such a thing is impossible but extremely unlikely and only if Canon decides to offer a software upgrade and there are in fact no hardware differences. This is highly unusual. Minolta did it with the Dimage 7 by selling an upgrade firmware kit that gives most of the functionality of the D7i. Still the two cameras are not the same as the newer model has upgraded hardware.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 12:09 PM   #3

From what I read at the Canon Web site, the A40 has an "improved" zoom lens. I thought that the A20 was a 2X and the A40 was a 3X???
If so, that can't be changed by internal upgrades.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote