Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:15 PM   #1

I hope you can help me. We recently returned from Alaska, my wife took some movies with her Canon Powershot A 85. Some were taken in landscape and some in portrait. I am not able to find a way to turn the portrait movies so they are "viewable" correctly. The landscape ones are viewed correctly but the portrait ones are "sideways" Rotation of a picture (.jpg) is simple but I am not able to find a way to rotate a movie.
I hope this is an acceptable place to post this question, None of the forums seemed to be appropriate.
Thanks Very much
P.S. I never take movies because I use my Canon 30D and 20D and only take raw and .jpg.
Al Amstutz
amstutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:48 PM   #2

Windows Movie Maker can do that assuming you are using a Windows-based computer. The problem is that it won't allow you to crop to retain the proper aspect ratio and the image gets distorted. Telling your wife that videos must only be shot in landscape mode also helps for the future. :-)
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:45 PM   #3

A video editing tool will help you rotate the movie but this process will reduce the viewing resolution and leave blank spaces to the sides. Movies are not like pictures, they must be recorded in landscape in order to view them properly in a TV.
flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:32 PM   #4

You can use virtualdub, (videohelp.com tools section) it has a option to rotate the image and crop. if you want to play it full screen you will need to crop it at this dimension 480x326, basing this on 640x480 frame size. Obviously you have lost 157 pixels from the top and the same value from the bottom. That's your penalty for turning the camera in a vertical position. So frame properly before cropping your video. I suggest you keep the original if you need to go back to it.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote