Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 13, 2007, 6:22 AM   #1

See Steve's hands on review here:

Canon PowerShot G9

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:00 PM   #2

Looking at your review, in the conclusions you comment on the difference in the whie balance between the G7 and G9, under certain conditions showing a greater green emphasis with the G9. Could you say which is more correct, the G7 or G9 across a range of shots and lighting conditions (especially skin tones, pavements etc).

I ask because I am a G7 owner and I believe it has a red-blue bias. I often have to adjust curves or colour balance to correct this. The RGB correction in camera is not enough. I also find my G7 often produces over-saturated results - no change there then with the G9. I am speculating Canon have adjusted the G9 colour balance for the better. This is in contrast to an Olympus 5060W or a budget Fuji, with prints, or viewing on a colour calibrated display.

I have read an Australian review of the G7 saying it suffered somewhat from blue-red oversaturation. I also noticed this review saying the same:

Could you say if the G9 is generally more colour accurate than its predecessor.

BTW I can testify the G7/9 chassis is robust - I dropped it badly on to a stone sidewalk and it continued to work through 6GB of frames in Peru before undergoing a repair when I got home. I recommend a wrist strap as an idea for this camera as with a strap over your shoulder you can forget its there when carrying other stuff around on vacation... I speak from experience....!
PhotoPeter is offline   Reply With Quote