Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 17, 2008, 3:46 AM   #11

2sides wrote:
Hello all...I currently own a Panasonic TZ1 and have grown tired this camera. The pictures are just not crisp and it never seems to focus on the subject. Since I always hear great things about the Canon line that is where I have turned for my next camera. Please help me decide which to get. First, here is what I liked about the TZ1:
  • LONG optical zoom [/*]
  • Relatively small, easy to tote around [/*]
  • large screen [/*]
  • Good movie mode that allows zooming during movies (I know this is hard to come by in this segment) [/*]
  • Dedicated AF illuminator[/*]
So I turn to these Canons. They all are 8MP (I assume image quality would be basically the same across the board with the same sensor, right?), with IS, and face detection

SD870IS: Pros: Nice and small, large 3" screen, IS, nice wide angle. Cons: Proprietary battery, short optical zoom

A720IS: Pros: Moderate zoom, Price, moderate size, AA batteries. Cons: Zoom is not as long as TZ1, a bit large in comparison to TZ

SX100IS: 10x zoom, AA batteries. Cons: Biggest in this group, seems cheaply built, lower res screen, reviews I have read about poor performance in speed and movie mode

At this point I am leaning towards the A720 since it is the middle of the road on most accounts and based on my findings, appears to be a great camera. Any advice/opinions?
I sure tried lots of small canons recently and other brandsfrom G9 A650 A640A 720ISbut found no better picture taker and reliableperformer than Ixus 950 as its known in theUK, Ithink its the SD 800IS in other markets, superb IQ good as any of the above at up to 200iso yet fits in a pocket , Very reliable exposure and allthough its no Fuji F30 in low light nor is anything small it is as good at lower iso, and I really rate the F30 IQ wise, Just my humble opinions and findings.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote