Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:00 AM   #1

Please Help!!! I have been a proud owner of my Canon S2Is since 3/05 and absolutely loved it until last week when the dreaded E 18 error appeared on the screen and now the lens will not retract. I have tried all the methods listed on the internet and to no avail. I contacted Canon and they have given me 2 options. 1 - send it in to the factory for repair and IF they can fix it, it will cost $129.00 or option 2- to "exchange" it for the S3Is for $175.00. Please help and give me your thoughts on my options. Any problems with the S3Is that you know of? Do you think I would be better off paying for the repair? Any known E18 errors with the S3is. I am so confused and with Christmas coming I need a camera ASAP to catch all the pics of my children during the holidays. Any comments/advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
bizzymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:47 PM   #2

At http://www.e18error.com/it doesn't list the S3is as one having this problem a lot. I say if you are faced with this decision, go for the S3is for $175, that's only $45 more for a brand new and better camera... Plus you will have a new warranty on the S3is.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:43 AM   #3

The S3 for $175 is a good idea if you want to stay with the same camera. That error can occur with any of the cameras with extending lenses. It's dust accumulation or jarring of the lens and over time it sticks open. If you do go with the S3, think about getting the lens adapter and uv filter to protect the mechanism on the new camera.

I have the Lensmate 52mm adapter and uv lens filter,plus clip on lens cap. Kept on all the time it keeps the lens mechanism dust free and the lens face clean. So you can avoid the E18 on the new camera.

Their site is below, just scroll down the page for info. This is the only way I have found to protect the mechanism. Hope it helps:

ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote