Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 4, 2003, 11:28 PM   #1
Default g5 and overexposure

what causes a picture in a g5 to be overexposed...just one in the bunch?
lisa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2003, 1:42 AM   #2

Lisa, that's a loaded question. Can you explain/define your shooting situation(s).

Digicams are very sensitive to light. Older digicams didn't handle low light well at all, and I've noted that the newer cameras tend to overexpose bright light.

I shoot mostly plants outdoor, and find that early morning or late afternoon light (lower angled light) produces the best results for me, but I am shooting close up, or at least rather close.

It's all to do with the angle of the sun for outdoors, and indoors, I lower the flash output in a brightly lit room.

Have you experimented with the AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing)? You need a tripod. I've had some very useful results, and it has helped me better understand the value of exposure.

By selecting AEB, the camera takes three shots of the subject. The second and third exposures are also in better focus as you aren't touching the camera. You select AEB, depress the button, than hands off the camera and it takes three shots in under, middle, and higher exposure. Uses up more card space, but if the shots are important to you, it's worth it.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 4:54 PM   #3

janet the scene was a white boat on a lake in very bright conditions that probably answers my question i have a g5 thanks for replying lisa1
lisa1 is offline   Reply With Quote