Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 7, 2003, 4:58 AM   #1
Default Which I should buy? G3 or G5?

Hi, I'm a new user, and I would like to buy a digital camera, which is the best between Canon G3 and G5? Thank's a lot to anyone who will reply to this msg! And excuse me for my english! Byez Byez
thesethnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2003, 6:15 PM   #2

I'm considering the same two cameras (a sony CD Mavica too, though) - I'll probably go with the G5 if I scrounge up the additional money for it - another MP.

maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:43 AM   #3

My first digicam was a Sony Mavica FD-91. Loved it, especially the long zoom, but at 800,000 pix, not very good for anything but emailing. At first I also liked storing the images to floppies, but after shooting in the field with boxes of floppies, the thrill wore off.

Then bought a G2 (4 meg) and bought two 256 cards and an XDrive. What a difference (^J^). At first, the small camera seemed 'dinky' compared to the large and solid Sony, but the portability of it is now appreciated. I can carry the camera + XDrive in my handbag and take thousands of images without using up all the space of the XDrive.

The picture quality is excellent (I shoot in RAW mode), and even though I've had it for 2 years and use it daily, I've still not tested all it's capabilites. I've printed some 8 x 10s on my Canon i950 photo printer... Wow! Now I'm in hog heaven.

Now I'm eyeing up the G5 at 5 megs, but am not 100% convinced that the picture quality ofers sufficient improvement to justify the additional cost.

This is rose Graham Thomas, taken with the G2

JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote