Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your TX 1
I hate it 0 0%
I love it 0 0%
It's just ho hum 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:44 PM   #1

I've had a lot of digital cameras and camcorders over the years and have learned that, for me at least, the single most important characteristic of a camera is it's size. I've found that I simply don't take a large camera or camcorder anywhere and, but I will always carry something small.

For that reason, I have been considering the purchase of a Canon TX 1. After an initial flurry of information and discussion after it's release last Feb the chatter has died down to a whisper. Also, unlike most year old digicams, prices are still close to release price. Most of the older cameras are discounted about 30% by this time. There are other puzzling things about the TX1, such as the variation between professional reviews and user reviews. The pros, for the most part, gave the camera ho hum ratings and found many, many things they didn't like. User reports, such as Amazon and CNET are all pretty good. The most curious thing to me is the lack of accessibility of the camera to actually handle. I've called every camera store in this area and nobody has one. I don't live in the boondocks either, I'm in Southern California. Most have not even heard of it. Sure, there are many online vendors but I'd sure like to put hands on this thing before I shell out nearly $500.

If any of you have the TX 1 and would share your impressions, I'd be most greateful. I am aware of the shortcomings such as battery life, memory gobbling file size, and file size limit. I guess I'd be most interested in your opinion of the usability of the seemingly tiny LCD. Does it seem sufficient in actual use.

If by chance you have used a Sanyo Xacti, how does it compare to the TX 1?

Thanks for any input, folks.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links