Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:15 PM   #1

My previous digital camera was a Casio that had a plethora of scene choices including action. My new Canon SD850 has few scene choices. How best do I shoot action pictures (dogs running, people playing sports, etc.) with it?
Thanks. JCH
J. Crit Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:04 AM   #2

I would use the "Kids & Pets" setting. It "Allows you to capture subjects that move around, such as children and pets without missing photo opportunities". That's what the manual says. I think it would be the one closest to a sport setting, and I would assume (but don't know) that it uses short shutter speeds, autofocus tracking and a sort of burst mode.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:31 AM   #3

The biggest factor in getting a good action shot is a fast shutter speed.

The more you zoom in, the smaller the aperture which forces the camera to select a slower shutter speed.

Depending on lighting, you may have to depend on a higher ISO with its attendant graininess.

The flash itself is very fast, so for moving subjects within the flash range, you can get surprisingly good results in very dimly lit conditions. The shutter speed is somewhere around 1/100'th second so if there is also a lot of room light, you may see some blurring of the subject despite the flash.

Since "Kids and pets" is described as the setting for action scenes, I assume that it isa shutter speed priority setting.
ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 1:40 PM   #4

After fidgeting with my SD850 and seeing not so high shutter speeds with the Kids and Pets setting, I poked around on the Internet and found this article:

which says that Kids and Pets is not meant to be a high shutter speed setting. Instead it is meant to minimize the delay between when the button is pushed and the picture is taken. In other words to reduce missed poses and actions.

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote