Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:48 PM   #1

Hi! I am just about to purchase a Canon PowerShot S5 IS. In the Canon's I previously owned there was a kids/pets setting on the dial. Can anyone recommend what setting I would use now to take photo's of infants/toddlers? The newer Canon's don't have this setting anymore...they've replaced it with an "Aquarium" setting.
TinaBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:01 PM   #2

Try the sports setting and see if it works OK for you if you get this model.

Normally settings like kids/pets and sports do basically the same thing (open up the aperture to a wider setting to let more light in, and increase the ISO sensitivity to allow faster shutter speeds to help reduce blur from subject movement).

But, if light is low, you may need a flash for moving subjects (camera settings alone won't make up for lack of light and you'll need a certain amount of light to prevent motion blur in less than optimum lighting).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:57 PM   #3

A quick Google search revealed to me that the "Kids and Pets" setting is not shutter speed priority but rather was intended to minimize the delay between pressing the shutter button and taking the shot.

Actual tests (with an SD850) showed that the aperture did not always open up to maximum and shutter speed was displayed as long as 1/80'th second.

Digital camera hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/digicam.htm

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote