Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:18 PM   #1

We are heading off on vaction next week and was hoping to get some quick tips to help our shots come out better. Being a bit newwith the S5 we are just setting it on auto and taking shots - is that the best option for a newbie ? We did buy a clear lens and a polorized lens for sunny days but if we could just use 1 or 2 seetingsfor most shots what would that be? thanks !

The easier explanation the better , thanks
billtkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:56 AM   #2

you have all kind of easy settings in SCN too, switch over and look at them. they at least are more specific than auto. Have a good trip and enjoy.
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:33 AM   #3

When you are not using the Scene Modes, use "P" which means Programed Auto. It works just like the Aut Mode, but it allows you to make a fair number of changes such as ISO, White Balance, Flash Compensation and the like.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:04 PM   #4

Thanks - I bought this camera for my wife's b-dayand I hope she can get some great shots while we are in Aruba. I just read through the manual and I sure do not understand it ! We leave on Wed this week (4/02) so any other tips would be great. -:-)
billtkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:38 PM   #5

As Mtclimber said above, start with P mode. For best results, keep the ISO as low as the shooting conditions will allow (80 or 100) to reduce JPEG noise. Make sure you have a large SD card for your trip. The polarizing filter should come in handy for combatting water glare and possibly photographing sea life from above, but you're probably better of without it for the island sunsets. The Sunset setting in SCN mode is pretty good and will bump up the intensity of red in the sky.

When you get comfortable in P mode, try Tv mode and play with shutter settings (useful for night shots). If you don't bring a tripod, brace against trees and buildings for more stability.

Lastly, take more photos than you think you need. You can always delete them later, but you can't always retake a missed shot. I use the high-speed shotting setting on my S3-IS frequently, especially when shooting wildlife and children, as it's hard to predict which instant will be the best.

Have fun!

requa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:42 PM   #6

You might also read this Blog with a link on suggested camera settings. It covers the S2, but also discusses the S3 and S5.

denncald is offline   Reply With Quote