Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 14, 2008, 1:58 PM   #1

Hello All,

Anyone using the 890 IS? Any sample pictures?

Thank You.
mlcinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:37 PM   #2

The SD-890 IS was targeted to be the follow-on camera for the SD-850. So it photos will be very much like the SD-850. Costco here in the USA has been featuring the SD-890IS in the last month.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 7:46 PM   #3

(I posted this already in another thread. I apologize for posting it again here, but it was the easiest way to answer your question.)

Update: after using the Canon SD890IS for 8 days. Bottom-line: confused and somewhat disappointed.

I bought it just before leaving on vacation a week ago --- to take pictures while traveling in Toulouse and Rome. The pictures looked great on the camera LCD...however, I have mixed feelings seeing them now on a higher definition PC screen.

I took about 300 photos in total. I originally thought, viewing them on my laptop Windows PC, that most seem "softer" than I would ordinarily like ---- almost all required "sharpening" and tweaking using Picasa (I would have expected a few like that...but almost all?).

I then moved the pictures to my 24" iMac --- and the majority appeared significantly better. Some required tweaking, but this time only a handful.

In general, outdoor shots taken at a distance (landscapes, buildings/sites further away --- over 50' away) and in strong sunlight appear OK. Most things closer up are not that sharp.

So, right now I am confused --- is it me and my unfamiliarity with a new camera? is it the camera? both?

I bought it at the local Costco (which has a great return policy), and I am seriously considering returning it. I'll then wait a bit for a few more serious reviews.

But, I am very disappointed. The ergonomics of the camera were superb: very easy to handle; controls are very good; fits comfortably in jeans pocket; documentation is OK (some control setting explanations are not the greatest in the world). But, my primary consideration was image quality --- and I think this may be its weal point.

I'll be interested in hearing other users' opinions as well.
Rick America is offline   Reply With Quote