Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 16, 2008, 2:50 AM   #1

I recently bought this camera and this is around my 6th elph camera. I cant seem to buy anything else, although was close to buying a nikon cool pix S600, I decided to stick with a canon.

Main thing I have noticed is PICTURE QUALITY, is amazing. Video mode is great too. I was experimenting with the TIME LAPSE mode, leaving the camera recording my busy street and then watching it again fast forward. Its interesting really.

Everything else is easy to use and you get used to everything else ELPH.

LCD screen is fragile, get a screen protector, or get a scratch and regret not getting one.

BRAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2008, 2:57 PM   #2

I too am trying to decide between Canon SD 790 and Nikon S600, in addition to Sony T-70.

Just wondering what prompted you to choose the Canon over the Nikon.

I am looking for great picture quality as well. Does the Canon have more features than the Nikon?

mexicali4tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 5:01 PM   #3

Completely agree with you on the (straight, out-of-the-camera) image quality of the SD790...it is VERY good.

I have had 2 SD890s (tried the first one, then returned/replaced it hoping th efirst one was defective) --- in my experience, the image quality of both was very bad --- almost all my shots needed extensive sharpening, tweaking, etc. in Picasa or iPhoto afterwards...very disappointing.

On a whim, I tried the SD790 based on all the positive reviews I read. I am very happy with it --- the image quality is markedly and significantly better than the SD890.

The image quality straight out of the camera (no post-processing) is significantly clearer and sharper. When images are cropped, the amount of detail captured (and still clearly visibl) is amazing. This was not the case with the SD890 --- almost all images were very "soft" in appearance and needed varying amounts of tweaking (especially sharpening) in Picasa or iPhoto to produce even marginally acceptable shots.

I checked the point of focus (which the camera will capture and display for you) just to make sure I had not aimed incorrectly, and that as not the case.

BTW ---SD790 is now $299 at Costco ---- priced at $319.99 with an additional $20 "rebate" taken at the cash register when you check-out.

Rick America is offline   Reply With Quote