Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 27, 2008, 5:22 PM   #1

My S2 IS recently died from the CCD failure problem that Canon is not addressing for this model and after going back and forth with them they paid for me to ship it back to them. However, they said that they will not cover it and offered to fix it for $135 or sell me a refurbished S3 IS for $165. I am not sure what to do. I don't really want to pay $165 for an old model when the S5 is only $300 or so, but I also need a camera. I just want feedback as to whether you would take the offer or simply buy a new camera (or maybe go back to Canon again to see if I can get the S5 at a discount). I'm not too sure about Canon after this incident if I do buy a new one straight up. What other brand may be more reliable?
joshbegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2008, 7:18 AM   #2

Hi joshbegin: What does a CCD failure problem look like? My Cannon S1 IS recently went nuts and when I turn it on, what I see on the view finder or the monitor are stripes of horizontal lines bouncing up and down like a TV that needs horizontal adjustment. Is this what you have for your S2 IS?
I would like to get my S1 IS fixed because I have a made-by-Cannon underwater case for it and I understand Cannon is not making underwater case for other Sx IS's.
I would certainly upgrade to the latest Sx IS if Canon has the underwater case for it. For now I am stuck with Canon S1 IS and would like to know about the way to get it fixed.
pands is offline   Reply With Quote