Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 23, 2008, 3:17 PM   #1

Our beloved Canon PowerShot A570 IS digital camera is broke. I'm wondering if we should try to get it fixed or just buy a new one?? Here's how it broke. The batteries died while the lense was open & (stupidly, I know) I pressed the lense in manually. NOW, it won't even turn on. When you press the on button, only the light flickers on & off- nothing else happens. Yes we've tried new batteries. After banging on it a teeny bit, I got it to turn on once & it said there was a lense error. After that, I figured it was pushing the lense in manually that did broke the camera. However despite the lense error, you'd think in 'play' mode, the camera would still work. Thoughts?? Do we get it fixed or just dump it and buy another?
neverbelacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:05 AM   #2

Consumer Reports magazine (I think) has given a general guideline that says that if the repair will cost more than 50% of the replacement cost, you're usually better off getting a new one.

This is due to the high cost of repairing digital cameras and the rapid advancement of camera technology.

Of course, ultimately, you have to one to put the whole matter in perspective.

Some people might balk at paying anything over fifty bucks, preferring to put the money into a newer model with some cool feature that was lacking in their old camera.

Get a quote or two on fixing it before you make up your mind, but I'm betting that it'll be an easy decision.

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:37 AM   #3

You can pick up a new Canon A470 for $110 online and its picture quality will be practically the same as the Canon A570IS. I'd definitely go for the new camera.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote