Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 1, 2003, 1:21 PM   #1
Default A80 vs the S400?

I need help with comparing the Canon A80 with the S400 Elph (Ixus400). I realize the A80 isn't available yet at least not to my knowledge but the specs are. So this would mostly refer to feature and operational differences between the S400 and the type features found in the A70 and A80. For one thing, the A80 has a flip-out LCD. Can anyone speak to the likely differences in pics between the two? I find myself in a situation where I can get the S400 with employee discounts whereas I would have to just pay the going rate for the A70 or A80. Therefore, the costs would be rather close and so all three are under consideration. I know about the obvious differences like the special case on the S400 also I think it has a better LCD and we know that it's more compact. But I am still having trouble interpreting the less obvious differences.

I have reviewed about 50 user feedback reviews at DPReviews and am finding a thin thread of concerns about sharpness with the A70. A few complained about CA but I think that is fairly common with the small lenses in most cams from what I am seeing. The camera still seems well liked by nearly everyone and gets generally high marks, same for the S400 and slightly higher marks.

I am trying to determine if the A80 has any significant advantages over the S400, even though they are not exactly in the same classification. I am running the same question in Q&A but a reply in either thread would be appreciated.
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links