Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:58 AM   #1

I'm taking pics with my camera, and when I view them on the camera I see numbers in the top right screen like this 210-2281 .. What do these numbers mean ? The memory card has only 1 picture on it , however the same memory card has been used over and over again but cleared out each time it was full .. I don't remember seeing these numbers on here before.. How did they show up ? Can they eaisly be removed ? Please help a newbie on camera...

Dxtra30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:31 AM   #2

I have the A720, and I think the same numbering system apply to the A650. The numbers you see at the top of the screen are a directory number (3 digits) and a file number (4 digits) issued by the camera. There is a possibility that the file numbering be continuous (refer yo tour manual), starting at 0001 for the first shot taken with the camera and being 0100 for the 100th shot, even if you have changed the card and only have one picture on the card in the camera.

dmau58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 1:12 PM   #3

As Daniel said, this number identifies the picture. If you have the "File No. Reset" option set to Off (which you most likely do) this number will be unique for each picture and increases with each picture taken. Nothing wrong with the camera. If you were not seeing this before then you most likely have accidentally pressed the Display button at some point which changes the amount of information displayed on the screen.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote