Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:45 PM   #1

I'm having trouble with my Canon SD850 that I never had before. Sometimes, during cloudy days, my camera takes pictures that are extremely dark. They do not look dark at first, due to the LCD auto-adjusting the brightness, but as soon as I hold down the focus button on the camera the image turns very dark. I can't figure out the problem. I have sample images if you want to take a look. Any ideas?
XPScamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:25 AM   #2

Underexposure can be caused by a number of things. For example, if you have a lot of bright areas in a scene, that can fool the metering (and you can use a +EV setting with Exposure Compensation if you want a brighter exposure). You'll often see underexposed subjects if they're backlit, too (and using fill flash is one way around it).

Or, you may have metering set to Spot and be metering on a brighter area when they come out underexposed. Unless you're very careful what you're metering on, you'll want to use Matrix or Center Weighted, not Spot Metering.

Note that you'll find a menu choice in your setup tabs for "Reset all" if you want to try factory default settings for everything.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote