Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:27 PM   #1

SD990 video clips(aversionofMOV format) can be viewed with Canon software but they are notcompatible withQuicktime (i have the latest version). I want to import the clips into video editing software. Is there a video format convertor that can read the Canon format and export as a Quicktime compatible MOV or and AVI ?

Thanx, Reggie
reggieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:08 AM   #2

Not quite sure what you mean by saying the SD990's movie files are not compatible with Quicktime. The .MOV file format is Quicktime's (Apple's).

They play just fine on my PC.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:16 PM   #3

I know what you mean. I have canons that play AVI. Then i bought (and returned) a top of the line casio that records in HD 720p MOV format. I was able to play them on a 3rd party software i downloaded for free called ALV.

ALV is wwaaaaaay better than quicktime!
dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:09 AM   #4

There is a video conversion program available for a license fee called "Total Video Convertor" it can handle just about any format and convert to a host of other formats. I use it all the time to save large video files from TV into .mov files so they don't take up a ton of storage space. You can also use it to rip mpeg files into .wav or MP3 audio files.

.mov file formats are apple quicktime formats. If the video in question is HD video then you need to upgrade the player as some of the eariler version even 2 months ago are not up to date with HD video playback.

Also if you have access to Nereo softweare try playing the video files back in Nereo and see what happens. You may or may not depending on what version of Nereo you have be able to edit the clips. Some of the bundled versions with DVD burners don't offer video editing but their full seperately purchased versions do.

Hope this helps

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote