Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 28, 2008, 7:39 PM   #1

I am looking at purchasing the Canon SD1100 IS . I have read many reviews online from people who own one. They either say that it is great in low light or that it performs badly in low light. I'm concerned that the same camera can get such mixed reviews. Any help would be appericated. Low light is a huge concern for me.

lenshound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2008, 2:32 AM   #2

The Canon SD1100is is noisy at low light without a flash. The Sony W130 does better. See http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...=3245&ph=1
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:37 PM   #3

Use the site Andy said and compare it with Fuji F40fd. Fuji is a superior performer in low light but does not come even close to Canon quality in well-lit scenes. I have both cameras (Canon 710IS) and I only use Fuji over Canon when it is really low light like the test picture below takeninside a walk-in closet with the door barely open. Canon picture looked pitch black and has beenlightened for direct comparison. Both pictures are taken without flash but, otherwise, withcomparable settings.

Bottom line, you need both cameras, Canon for quality pictures and Fuji for capturing low light scenes.Fuji is about $150 and comes handy as a second or spare camera forvery low light scenes.

Attached Images
Anour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:11 PM   #4

I have the SD1100 right now and will return it because the quality of both pics and videos, despite the higher specs, are not as good as the Canon A590 which is very low in price.

I am considering the SD770 or the sd880 right now.

dai is offline   Reply With Quote